Saturday, March 30, 2013

Game review: Bayonetta εїз



This is a little bit of a throwback post, since Bayonetta's actually 
not a new game - it came out back in 2010 (way before I had a PS3).
I picked up a used copy for PS3 about the week before finals - I'd seen gifs and
fanart etc. all over Tumblr before & looked it up on wiki because it looked pretty interesting.
The game's actually really quirky and silly, it's just a trick how serious it looks.  Bayonetta's
extremely sassy and camp, & her entire design is so detailed.   At the same time
she's a very strong character even from the start, despite her amnesia.  
Austin watched me playing for a bit and commented that it seems like my kind of game, 
and it is!  A beautiful & confident lady, tons of humor and a bit of weird, the music's 
super dance-able, and the central theme is witches+supernatural beings+Dante's Inferno.  
(The power ups are lollipops, how great is that.)  It's perfect imo.  
Gameplay wise: so far I think the best thing about the game is the Very Easy mode 
(which A gave me crap for, boo).  No I'm kidding - that's probably just because I'm hurrying 
to finish the game and see the whole story...I only have 2 more days before school on Monday! :c
But really I love the designs of all the attacks and the guns & weapons (I skimmed along the wiki, 
since all of this is old news I figured it wasn't cheating).  
And "Very Easy" is exactly what it says - auto combos, all you have to do is randomly
button-push and you perform the most powerful attacks.  (I tried not to button-smash though - 
the loading screen practice field is very helpful for that!)
I do agree with the reviews I've read - I feel like it's extremely underrated.
(Hopefully the upcoming sequel will get more visibility?)  
I've played for a total of about 7 hours & I already got extremely addicted, 
it's just a very fun game that makes fun of itself!
Anyway I would really recommend this to anyone who likes a relatively straightforward
hack and slash, with a few puzzles, plus a well written plot and colorful characters.  
The Easy/Very Easy modes make it fun for people used to games where you just hit
X to punch like me and my Kingdom Hearts history.   
I think it'd probably appeal to fans of Lollipop Chainsaw (which I also heard
a lot of good things about - I'll probably try to play that next over summer).
PS.  Bayonetta 2's going on the Wii U, which is weird considering the first game was Xbox360 and PS3.  I'm a bit sad because I won't be getting to play it after I finish Bayonetta, but definitely if you have a 
Wii U I'd recommend checking the 2nd game out, just based on the first game.)

PPS.  At the end of the game you get a fancy dance sequence as the credits!
I haven't played to the end but I had to see it c: 
you can watch it here


No comments:

Post a Comment